Sunday, November 7, 2010

Estate Sale Jackpot

When I scan the paper or web sites for estate sales, rummage sales, etc. I look for the keyword: COOKBOOKS. I don't need any more in my collection, but I have to look. Well, I got around to checking for sales a bit late one day, but found a professionally run estate sale that listed 100's of cookbks. What?! An abbreviation?! Oh well. Have 90 minutes before the sale ends.

Arrived to find a large folding table filled with cookbooks, and a few that I didn't have. Felt a bit disappointed that I hadn't seen the ad earlier in the day. Was beginning to get the cookbooks written up to check out, and the clerk asked if I had been in the basement to see the other cookbooks. Headed downstairs, and found myself in heaven! There weren't 100's of cookbooks--there were 1000's! A room FULL of bookcases FULL of books! Heaven with a view!

Better news! Only a few others going through the cookbooks. The woman who collected this treasure of recipes had excellent taste, and had them arranged them by category. Spent as much time as the clerk would give me that first day, came back the next day for a few hours and even the last day where I picked up a few more. Would have given my eye teeth to have that collection. Just wanted to thank this woman for being "one of us" in her love of all things COOKBOOKS!

No comments: